1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Inside The Main Pen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steve232, May 5, 2016.

1. steve232

steve232 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    North Carolina
    Nearly a week ago I gave a broody black australorp 9 eggs to set on. Only way I could get her to stay on them was to allow her to set in the regular nest box in the main pen where she has always laid her eggs. Theres a total of 5 nesting boxes in there for my 11 hens. I did mark the eggs so I can check each day to be sure no one added any eggs. The first day one of the other hens deposited an egg in her nest and I removed it that afternoon. The next day there were no other eggs added but one of her eggs had been broken. Since then theres been no other eggs added by the other hens and no more broken eggs. My concern (well one of my concerns) is will the egg that got broken harm the other eggs that were in there so they won't hatch ? The hen seems to be doing really good. I only see her off the next once a day when she comes out doing her puffed up balloon impression. She eats, drinks, sometimes takes a dust bath and does a lot of wing flapping and then its back to the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by