Hatching issue

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rayben2006, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Rayben2006

Rayben2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2012
    Ok I just had a baby polish hatch I have already had 10 hatch no prob an one Americana so I really need help with 2 things
    1) my baby that just hatched still had some of his yoke sack an his tummy is a little red I had this happen to one last week an she lived for seven days then just died no warning but when I picked her up her tummy was scabbed is this going to happen to this new little guy too???????
    2) Amercana green eggs chicks are dying befor they are born I have put about 15 eggs an only one had hatched ??? The rest were dead in the egg we opened an were fully developed an they were dead ???

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    the one with the belly button keep extra warm, heat pad, heated bean bag, or hand warmer, and keep the navel DRY! as far as the ones that died in the egg what did they look like not finished, wet? dried out?

3. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    If the hatched chick is an only chick, it needs a mirror, or stuffed animal until you can buy another chick.
    [​IMG]

4. Rayben2006

Rayben2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2012
    They were wet
    And that's the crazy thing the one that died has one in clear container next to her an she was kicking his butt every time we would put them together she would make him scream have lots of chick lol but I don't like when I have a lot of eggs with dead chicks in them it's mostly the ameracan eggs the green ones

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    too wet means too much water in bator, these sites always say humidity humidity, I had a hatch in Jan. (I had hatched with a homebator before), but I put too much water in the bator, because of this site, and I did have a small hatch but they were all wet, I wanted to get it right so my next hatch, I used less water, and I had a much better hatch but did have a couple of wet ones in the shell My last batch I mostly dry hatched until lock down, and I delayed lock down until day 19 and all 6 chicks hatched and they came out nice and clean not stuck or anything. all bators are different but dry hatch worked for me.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    top row right to left in birth order "Olive, Oralee,Ova... bottom row yellow Oxona (Ox) and Orabel.

[​IMG]
    here are the chicks I dry hatched in same order as pic below- minus the blue egg that hatched but died later- (she was a late hatch day 23 1/2)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by