Hatching issues and a duckling hanging in the balance

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeatherLynn, May 11, 2011.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I set 15 eggs. One chick broke my heart and died still in the shell. just its little bill was sticking out. 13 others are sitting in a brooder right now running around like little idiots. The last one is pretty much out. Sorta. It can come out but keeps pulling itself back in because it is still attatched and the slimy stuff inside is not letting go of the shell or him. Still attatched at the belly. He is so very weak. 3 fulls days to hatch. hatched from the wrong end. Head flopping around and seems to struggle just to wiggle around just a tiny bit. I have given it some vit/electrolyte water. I hate to lose another. I can't even keep all these but I hate to lose even one that I could help. I don't think I can do anything about it being attatched like this without killing it. I have helped some geese and ducks successfully but seriously its very stuck. It cannot even pull the goop with it like some others have. I am worried. There is a tiny little belly part sticking out but the yolk is absorbed. The gooy stuff if slime and poo from the looks of it.

Is this normal for one who is hatched out the wrong side. Is there something more I can do?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Hatching from the wrong end can be very different. They often take days longer and are much weaker. If it was in my incubator- I would leave it a few more hours until it started to dry off a little- then remove it and wet any remaining membrane that is stuck to it and look at the vein that will be keeping it in the egg. if there is absolutely no blood left uin the vein it can be cut- and the duckling will be free of the egg. It may still be weak and floppy for a day or two. If you can keep it seperate from the others to avoid trampling- it has a better change of surviving. Keep up the vitamins in the water and give it a drink every hour or so until it starts to perk up and get to the food and water on its own.

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    It is alone in the incubator now. I have my mini brooder ( a small rubber maid, a cloth baby diaper i can warm in the microwave and a mini heat lamp sitting on standby for it when its detatched from the shell. I don't let any of them in the large brooder until they are walking, eating and drinking. I just am not sure this one will make it to that point. I assume I need to wake up every hour to give it fluids also, not just during the day. Its body is actually already dry. There is still blood in the vein and it looks like when it tried to tub free is is pulling hard at it " belly button". I hate to lose one and this one has me fretting. I will keep up on the water though for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by