1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching issues please help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lovemychicks2much, May 12, 2009.

1. lovemychicks2much

lovemychicks2much Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Mercer Co.
    I have had several eggs that should of hatched and i kept a check on them by candleing and i had movement and everthing well hatch day came and gone and nothing so i think it is going to be a late hatch and then that came and gone so i finally got the nerver up to check the eggs and no movement so i got brave and took them out and check them and sure enough they was dead one of them was completley devopled but dead and the other 2 was devolped but they yoke sack wasnt absorbed yet and both of them dead as well i have a bunch more eggs in the bator right now and want to see if anyone has any idea what may of happened or what i did wrong i dont want to loose these as well oh and by the way i kept the tray in the bator filled with water and the temp stays around 100 and 101 any help would be greatly appericated

2. lovemychicks2much

Apr 2, 2009
    Mercer Co.
    From the BYC Rules:

6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.

Thank you for understanding and not "bumping" threads in the future. ~Lisa~

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
  3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Temp sounds good. Could have been the humidity. High humidity will kill chicks towards the end (they drown or fail to absorb the yolk). Also, poor ventilation will suffocate hatching chicks, and poor breeder health will cause high mortality in hatching eggs. Unfortunately, eggs are kinda hard to figure out. A lot of times it's just guess and check till you do something right.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

What kind of incubator are you using? What's your humidity running. You CANNOT rely on just one thermometer or hygrometer.

5. lovemychicks2much

Apr 2, 2009
    Mercer Co.
    my thing that measures the humidity went hay wired the other day but the whole time it did work it was running around 50 % and as far as ventalation i just pulled one of the plugs out of the top of the bator and the brand of the bator i think is little giant but im not sure about it but im pretty sure that is what it was

6. starryeyes

starryeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    I have 2 of the same hygrometer and they read different LOL go figure. I had the same problem i think my humidity was to high this time going for lower humidity.

GOOD Luck Starry

7. lovemychicks2much

Apr 2, 2009
    Mercer Co.
    well just checked a ton of eggs that was in the bator and they were due to come off on the 17th most all of them was shipped besides about 6 or 7 and they was mine but anyways out of about 60 eggs i ended up keeping about 15 the rest of them never even developed and i dont think that was due to the fact of the incubator because everyone of mine is developing just fine so i think they had something to due with shipping alot of them had loose air sacs so go figuer if anyone would love to donate me some eggs i would really appericate it i am so dishearted right now just thought i would give you all a update

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by