Hatching issues

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dotknott, Apr 1, 2017.

1. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    I've been having all kinds of hatching issues this season. In the past to hatches everybody has been a little bit late coming out of the show. At least two days making for a 30 day incubation period. In my last hatch I had one duckling that hatched with crookneck, that duckling did not survive more than a few days. In today's hatch I seem to have two with the same issue.

I'm going to check my Incubator temp as I realize that those could be in need of recalibration. Is there anything else that could cause this? Are these two issues related?
    Thanks!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If you are having 2 day late hatches every hatch---just simply raise the incubator temp 1 degree for the next hatch-----then if they hatch on time next hatch----write on that thermometer what ever it was reading----to make them hatch on time. Example----if it was 99.5 and they are hatching 2 days late increase the incubator temp 1 degree to 100.5 for the next hatch----if that makes the eggs hatch on time----write 100.5(in this example) as your set temp----for that thermometer.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Makes sense. Any thoughts on my crookneck issue? Is it possible that it's related to a temp issue?

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yes and delays in hatching---it might grow out of it---might not----give it some time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by