Hatching - it never gets old, does it?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by TarheelBirdy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

I just watched a precious little keet pip, hatch and now sitting up, all while cooking dinner (my bator is in my kitchen, yes [​IMG])

It's amazing how some of them hatch right out like popcorn, but others take days. There is certainly no rhyme or reason (although PeepCA has come as close as I guess anyone can get with good, solid info) to these things....but it's just wonderful and addicting!

One more egg and I'm done for the season (unless of course I run up on another nest, lol).

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    LOL... bet ya find another nest. It's not quittin' time yet, your Hens may lay eggs til September [​IMG]

3. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, remember - I only have the one hen that is laying age, and 34 acres. I know the general area where she is "sitting" right now - a brushy area near the pond - but can't seem to find it!!!!

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Ooh yah, 34 acres is a bit much to go tromping around looking for a well hidden pile of eggs. 10 acres is bad enough for me here, lol.

I have a Free Range Hen laying somewhere and I can't find her nest either. She is still coming home to roost with the flock at night, and always here for AM & PM feed time, but she goes MIA during most of the day. One minute she's there, the next she's vanished. She obviously hasn't gone broody yet, but I'm missing about 12-14 eggs from her so far that I was collecting each day, so could be any day that I'll stop seeing her. I don't need her to hatch out a clutch of keets, and I'm really missin' the free range eggs I was getting from her dangit, lol.

Have you tried going to that area you suspect she is in and calling them all for treats, about 10-11 am? That's usually when my free rangers are already lingering around their nesting area, so when I call mine for treats I see what direction they come from and which direction they head back to (her and her male)... and I can usually narrow it down a little more.

But then again there are days I'll walk right by a pile of eggs and miss it 10 times, like the one in my Iris bed right off my front deck that I'd been watering for over a week, (had 14 eggs in it, 2 Hens are laying in it for me still), lol.

Guineas, I swear! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by