1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Jersey Giant eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluenosechicken, May 12, 2016.

1. bluenosechicken

bluenosechicken Out Of The Brooder

Been suggested to set incubator temp at 39.5 and humidity at 60% how has that fared for those who have done this and for those who are hatching at 37.5 how does is this working out? Thanks Bluenose Chicken in sunny Nova Scotia Canada

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They should be no different than any other chicken eggs. They're a separate breed, not a separate species.
    39.5 would be way too high. At 40.5, no embryos will hatch.
    I would be afraid if my thermometer was off by 1C, it would be disastrous.
    37.5 is appropriate for all chickens (and most poultry) in a forced air incubator.
    If it is a still air, 38C is appropriate measured at the top of the egg.

3. bluenosechicken

Thank you Flock Master I was of that mind but wanted to check will heed your nice advice.

4. bluenosechicken

Well busy weekend here in Nova Scotia so far 14 Jersey Giant Chicks are in the little brooder and proud to call themselves Canadian. Hard to tell but think I have 6 Black 4 Blue and 4 Splash the Splash might be wishful thinking, but they all look great. Not sure how to attach photos need to get help with that. But for now Nova Scotia is certainly home of Jersey Giants both very Large and very small as in big happy chicks.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's great. Congratulations.
    I've had Black, Blue and White JGs. Loved them all but I've moved on. If I had space and time I'd have JGs again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by