Hatching Khaki Campbells

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kychilds7, Nov 13, 2015.

1. kychilds7

kychilds7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2015
    Hereford, Maryland
    how long does it take after the internal pip for them to externally pip? i lost a duckling yesterday and i am pretty sure it was due to the membrane shrinkwrapping around it but this one internally pipped last night at around 10pm. i still cant see its full bill but i can hear it peeping up a storm in there but no progress has been made whatsoever today and i am getting anxious because of what happened yesterday

2. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    Be prepared to wait 24-36 hours with ducks. What is your humidity at? I keep mine about 85%+ for waterfowl at hatch, its extremely crucial. Refrain from opening the incubator too much as well, it dries the membranes rapidly!

3. kychilds7

kychilds7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2015
    Hereford, Maryland
    at first i was trying to hatch chickens... i didnt even know my duck laid eggs but i guess she was and they were just getting mixed in!! my humidity is usually at 60%, i didnt realize that i had ducklings forming until 2 weeks after their development. i added 7 more after that so i have some that are about to hatch and some that are only 2 weeks developed. im learning as i go along, this is a very difficult process!!

4. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    Ducks are very difficult. I hate... I repeat hate, hatching ducks. There is a fine balance between their membranes drying too fast and them drowning. Its a learning curve, I often add damp sponges to my incubator when hatching ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by