Hatching Light Sussex

kitey1345

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2016
Hey!
Just wondering if Light Sussex eggs are known for hatching later than 21 days? Especially when the eggs are quite large? I have 2 hatching on day 23 with another 10 to go. I also have two wyandotte eggs that I'm waiting on with one chick having already hatched. I had a power outage for 8 hours in the first week of incubation but was still lucky enough for all 6 of my silkie eggs to hatch with one poor little chick passing about 3 hours after hatching. I imagine that with a high success rate for the silkies the power outage shouldn't have affected the eggs too much. Would love to hear your thoughts on the Sussex and Wyandottes hatching and of your own experiences!!

Different breeds of chickens take the same time as others, but there is the regular late one now and then. Make sure to post some pictures of those adorable peepers once they hatch! Good luck.

They don’t hatch later in my experience. Could your incubator be running a little cold? May be worth putting an extra thermometer in there? Best of luck with your hatch.

Hey!
Just wondering if Light Sussex eggs are known for hatching later than 21 days? Especially when the eggs are quite large? I have 2 hatching on day 23 with another 10 to go. I also have two wyandotte eggs that I'm waiting on with one chick having already hatched. I had a power outage for 8 hours in the first week of incubation but was still lucky enough for all 6 of my silkie eggs to hatch with one poor little chick passing about 3 hours after hatching. I imagine that with a high success rate for the silkies the power outage shouldn't have affected the eggs too much. Would love to hear your thoughts on the Sussex and Wyandottes hatching and of your own experiences!!
Are you running a staggered hatch...when did the silkies hatch?
Have you been candling along the way?

Back
Top Bottom