Hatching Mallard Eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by deserthotwings, Mar 20, 2012.

1. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    I just set 30 wild mallard eggs in a Brinsea Polyhatch bator yesterday. The temp is holding good at 99.5 but I can't get the humidity past 55. From what I've read it should be around 60 during the inital setting. I have both water reservors full and a pan of water on the egg tray and it still won't go any higher. I think its due to the fact that there is real low humidity in the air here. The bator has 4 vent holes in the top. I have all four of them pluged and still can only maintain about 54 humidity. I'm not sure if it is better to drop the humidity even lower to open one of the holes for ventilation or to leave them all shut and maintain as much humidity as I can. I will probably have a real problem during hatch time if I can't get the humidity up. This is my first experience with duck eggs so any help will be much appreciated. Thanks Ya'll

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Wild mallard eggs - like federally protected mallard eggs?!?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migratory_Bird_Treaty_Act_of_1918

MALLARD, Anas platyrhynchos = protected, game bird - http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/mbta/mbtandx.html

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  3. deserthotwings

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    Ya, like WILD mallards, the type what flys, comprende ?

4. FireTigeris

There are domestic flighted mallards, I was pointing out that the federal government gives out stiff fines for things like that.

They can do it if you can't prove the mallards are domestic stock source. (having a 'bill' of sale would suffice)

I've raised domestic-flighted mallards and never did I or anyone else call then 'wild' we called them 'flighted mallards' now I can't even do that because of some ... congress people ...changing the laws around here.

Domestic Mallards (meat mallards), wild Mallards (federally protected), flighted mallards (hunting mallards), non releasable mallards (human imprint, injured, mix stock mallards), and any other pure mallard- all incubate the same so I was pointing out that maybe you want to edit your post...

or not, whatever.

[​IMG]

Besides you answered 'yes' to federally protected - which is a bad idea too.

So anyway if you are using rubber plugs you can switch one of the rubber plugs for a sponge or cork plug then you can saturate the cork or sponge to raise humidity and allow air-flow.

When you are not available to keep the cor or sponge wet replace the rubber plug.

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Where did you get these eggs? Did you get them from a hatchery?

6. FireTigeris

Quote: http://www.sialis.org/mbta.htm

Quote: I was just trying to save heartache - but not being treat well...

that's a lot of dough for some ducks-

Also nest stealing and human hatched and released to wild are the reasons that in this area of FL all mallard derivative ducks excluding non-flighted pekin are prohibited except for wildlife rehab license or educator permit.

7. deserthotwings

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    Despite all the legal advise that I have received (of which I am grateful) I still have not had any constructive advise with my problem. Oh, by the way, you may want to familiarize yourself with The Dept. Of The Interior, U.S Fish and Widlife Service Form 3-186 and review Title 50 parts 10, 13 and 21.25 of The Code of Federal Regulations. Basicly stating that completion of the form and a yearly fee of $75.00 will entitle you to posses, buy and sell Federal Migratory fowl. The keeping of such fowl does not require a permit as long as the bird is identified with a seemless leg band or the removal of the birds rear toe. I have all permits required, just simply trying to get a little hatching info. Thanks FireTigeris, I'll try the sponge in the vent holes.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Just another suggestion. In future, you could save everyone a lot of trouble if you state right off the bat that you have a permit.

9. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    they should be fine just have a harder time getting out of the egg if the humidity is a little low because the egg yolk will dry up on them faster. the US government are like nazis when it comes to federal regulations. that's why there giving you a hard time. they don't want ya getting in trouble. even though i don't understand is is the INTERNET not america. we can do and say what ever we want

10. deserthotwings

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    Thanks Mike, too many want to be lawyers and not enough constructive help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by