1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Maran chicks/hatching eggs to sell.. what colors do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Allie3513, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Blue Copper Marans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Splash Marans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Black Copper Marans

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. Doesn't matter. They are all equally desired.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Allie3513

Allie3513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2015
    Arkansas
    Hope this is in the right section.
    Soo.. I'm purchasing some French Maran chickens this week and hopefully breed for chicks and hatching eggs to sell. My goal is not only to raise my own flock, but to help off set some cost from my chicken "addiction" and feed cost.
    We lost a lot of chicks and young birds last year, so we are basically starting over again. Trying a new angle by starting with some adult birds.

I personally think Marans are beautiful birds!! I especially love the blues and splashes!!

Anyway, I have the choice of from Blue Copper, Black Copper and Splashes.

My question is which color should I go with or which color is more desired for resale? (make more money) Should I stick with one color or just go with a mix? Do people want mixed colors of chicks/ hatching eggs or just one color?
    ( I know blue + blue= 25/50/25 which I am taking into consideration)

And yes, I know I should raise whatever I am happy raising, so that isn't really my question. Price is the same. Doesn't matter to me what color.(I love my red sexlink hen, and she doesn't hold a candle to these beauties!)
    Just needing some advice from an established seller I guess.

I will be purchasing 6 hens and 1 roo. I think I will start with 3 hens in with my Amerucana Roo for F1 olive eggers.. and the remaining 3 with the Maran roo.

Any helpful advice is appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Personally, I am starting out with black coppers just because of the egg color. Just make sure that you do your research if you are wanting to have purebred birds to start with. I didn't know better, and got burned with some chickens that came from beautiful dark eggs, but their feathering and leg color is wrong. They should still lay nice eggs, but don't meet SOP. I am going to have to start over before I start selling chicks. I don't want to further corrupt the line.
    As far as what are the best sellers, I have some Polish that are more expensive and people love to look at, but they don't sell as quickly. Honestly, my #1 sellers are cuckoo marans. Their eggs aren't as dark as the black coppers, so I sell them for the same price as my hybrids. I can't hatch them fast enough. At least in my area, the best chickens to offset my feed costs are the heavy layers, color doesn't seem to matter as much.
    As far as the choices you gave, I wouldn't mix colors, I would go with all the same, and of that group I would pick the black coppers for the eggs

1 person likes this.
  3. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    I recommend Black Coppers. There is alot to know about them though, and you really need to know what you're doing so you can get a good flock to begin with. I recommend going to FB, and joining the Marans Central group, and Marans Fanciers. All the finest breeders are there. Good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by