Hatching Marans ~ Dark Egg question

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
I'm hatching Golden Cuckoo Marans this weekend. I have a question about Maran egg color.

Is there a difference between the different types of marans? Do Black Cooper tend to lay darker eggs than other kinds of marans or is it all marans lay similarly dark eggs? (darkest at the beginning of the laying season then gradually getting lighter til they rest in winter)

One reason I want to know is a friend's dad is taking my maran rooster(s). They will get to go live with his 30 hens. He has been thinking of getting BC Marans, saying they lay the darkest (darker than other marans). Is this true?

yes in general the BC Marans lay the darker eggs. If the Goldens are hatchery stock Cuckoo the eggs will be nice and so forth but nowhere near the scale of the breeder eggs. That is in general of course I have one hatchery stock Cuckoo that lays a pretty darn nice dark egg. Am waiting on the BC to start laying the eggs they came out of were a 7-8 on the color chart.

Wheaten can also lay quite a dark egg. In my limited experience the Cuckoo does not lay quite as dark as some of the others. If it is the french Cuckoo with the feather it has a chance of being darker.

HOpe this answers your question

Thanks Greathorse
I had Golden Cuckoo Maran eggs shipped from Gabbard Farms and NoneSuch Farms

I had not heard anywhere that the Black Copper Marans typically or are capable of darker eggs than the other marans (all from breeder stock)

Is there anywhere I can research that?

I'd delighted with the temperment of the one cockerel I got from the first hatch of marans. He's totally sweet. Can't wait for the next group to hatch in 2 days!!! And of course I'm hoping for some pullets so I can get some eggs however dark they are!

Last edited:
I think the folks that sell the BC marans will tell you thiers lay the darkest eggs. and some do- due to the work they put into thier stock. i would think most of the marans if breed for egg color would lay as dark as the other give or take.

You obviously did some work before you bought your Marans. The research I have done is mostly from reading threads on this board and others. Also I have talked to a number of breeders and from my personal experience. Again from those threads it seems to me that the BC, especially here in the US have been more focused on egg color tha some of the others. In any case if you have Marans the eggs will be dark. No matter the variety you will be challenged as you breed to maintain three elements type, color and egg color. Marans is one of the few breeds that adds egg color as one of the high priorities in the genetics.

From my research and from what I have learned the Golden is still fixing color on the bird and egg color may be somewhat secondary until type and color are fixed in the bird itself.

Someone with a lot more expertise than I can share as welll.

I have Black coppers, wheaton marans, cuckoo marans and Blue marans and if I mark the eggs and put them in a carton and pick out the darkest eggs the only ones I ever get a mix of is cottage hill black coppers and cottage hill wheaton marans. My cuckoos lay very nice dark eggs but never as dark as the black copper and wheaton marans. This also is according to your breeder. Your hatchery marans are not bred or culled for egg color. All breeders do not breed or cull for egg color as they dont want to lose their hens. Your rooster is what determines the darkness of the egg. So if you have roosters you need to remember which one came from the darkest egg and use him for your breeder/

Quote:
Thanks!!!
Very interesting info.

Quote:
Wow, you mean the rooster determines the egg color a generation down? Not the color of the hen he is bred to, but the offsprings egg color, correct?

Back
Top Bottom