1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching methods

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ascott1978, Jun 13, 2008.

1. ascott1978

ascott1978 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    I've noticed several people place their hatching eggs in a flat during the hatching process. I've always just place them on the 1/4'' mesh base on my LG9200.

Is there an advantage to this method? or is it preference?

2. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I do hatch in the carton because it seems easier for them to hatch out.It gives them leverage instead of rolling all over the place. Its also cleaner, I mostly just have to take the egg cartons and throw them away after the hatch and then sterilize the bator. You don't have as much mess stuck to the screen and all that. Its so cute when they hatch too and they just sit upright in the egg and look up in the window at you. I have had some of the lil chickies crawl back into an empty egg and take a nap.
    I have some eggs in the bator now and I plan on doing the carton method again on day 18 when I take them out of the turner.
    I know that some people who don't use a turner, start the eggs out right in the carton and then turn or shift the carton 3 times a day.

3. ascott1978

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

4. the simple life

Just want to add something to this subject. I was reminded by it in another post on a different thread.
    If you do the carton method and use more than one carton at a time in the bator, leave enough space beween the cartons. I left a small gap and some of the chicks would hatch and then crawl or fall down into the gap and couldn't get out. I had to reach in and push the other carton over a little.

5. ascott1978

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    Thanks for the additional info.

6. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    I was thinking of doing this... is it still ok to change them to the carton method on day 18?

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    If you use the carton, aren't you concerned that the baby might try to pip and zip lower on the egg and the carton is in the way. I know they are SUPPOSED to pip at the large end, but certainly not all of them do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2008
  8. the simple life

Yes its fine to switch to the egg cartons on day 18 since thats when they get settled into position for hatching. I have done that and its been fine.

Oldmitegator,
    I did worry about that alot but it went fine. Maybe its more of a concern with the smaller eggs that sit lower in the carton? But to that end, I have successfully hatched speckled sussex,golden lakenveldors and other small eggs and had all of the smalls hatch.
    I noticed that even when they pipped low they were fine, the just zipped all the way or most of the way around and then pushed it up.
    I am not trying to tell anyone its fool proof though, since I am sure there are always variables. But everything that peopled have mentioned, I also worried about but all went well.
    I would say though to make sure your humidity doesn't go out of whack and let the egg carton get damp or wet.Then the eggs will be sitting in a wet carton and thats bad.
    Some people use the foam cartons too and I am sure thats fine. I just don't like to buy foam (the environment) .

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    OK...I'm going to give it a try. I just keep having visions of poor little chickens trying to push out the bottom and having trouble!

10. the simple life

Let us know how it goes, I have some eggs incubating right now and will use the carton method for hatch. I will post my follow up results as well. So far anything that hasn't hatched for me never pipped to begin with, but I understand your fears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by