1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching my boys eggs.

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Poultrybonkers, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Since my roo passed i placed a few of my eggs that my hens laid to keep his line alive. I might put in more. To get a better chance of hens. I also have duck and goose eggs in my bator still havent mastered hatching them. Since I placed eggs at different times i have no idea when they are suppose to hatch.

2. toynutz

toynutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Pacific NW
    You probably should write the dates on the eggs as you put them in your incubator. Duck, goose and chicken eggs all have different incubation periods... so you need to know what day each one goes into lockown. I just did my first hatch and I numbered each egg so I could keep track of weight loss and marked each egg with the air sack size on candling days, plus the X and O for turning... they looked like bad art projects by hatch time. Anyway, you could try for a best guess date for each egg and mark them... hopefully that'll help determine your lockdown ranges. Good luck!

3. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011

Well the chicken eggs should hatch first then my goose eggs if they even do then my duck eggs. I have an idea when they should hatch

4. mahisturkeys

mahisturkeys New Egg

Apr 17, 2015
    Glen St Mary Fla
    Ok I am completely in training here.What is the lockdown time? Does that mean don't open the incubator at all?

5. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    Yup lockdown is where you dont open the bator until all chicks hatch.

1 person likes this.
  6. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    Update 4 hatched but the second on died at 3 weeks old because it got stuck between the fence and the older chickens eat it alive.
    Heres the first hatchling
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    Heres chicks 3&4 they were hatched the same day feather sexing saids I have a pair
    The boy has some random golden laced feathers here and there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. keiferlou

keiferlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    NE Oklahoma
    The random laced feathers are too cool!

9. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    This is the only one left as the other two didnt live through the move but the hen in the photo laid two eggs so ill be setting them tomorrow for a valentine hatch. Which I made a seperate thread for. She was bred back to a glw roo. So her kids would be more wyandotte then sex link.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by