hatching my own eggs.. will i need a now roo for them??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lisaleedy, Mar 1, 2015.

1. lisaleedy

lisaleedy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    va
    I would like to hatch some from my flock. I have a rooster but am concerned that ill have to pen him up or get rid of him if I want to raise some chicks from my own flock. I know others have them and keep them but is it not good to have them inbreed like that? I don't raise show or a breed its just me home local farm girl so I want to keep a fresh group of layers going and replace some that might have succumbed to whatever that year and replace them with new hatchlings.. hope ill manage to get a broody.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You should be ok for 3 generations before needing to bring in new blood. That is, unless you have some genetic problems in your flock.

1 person likes this.
  3. lisaleedy

lisaleedy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    va
    yeah I don't think they have a genetic problem but who knows mine were factory hatch I couldn't say.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've kept the same rooster for 4 years and not had an issue. Most folks change out every 2-4 years, depending. If you have issues of poor hatching, low production, etc, go ahead and change out your rooster. They're a dime a dozen on CL pretty much all year long around here.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by