Hatching my own with some issues

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by metalbone, Aug 24, 2013.

1. metalbone

metalbone New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    For the last couple years I have been hatching my own chicks (with the help of broody hens) to help replenish my flock. Predators aside we have been generally successful with the initial hatches.
    The hens do all the work, I primarily just give them a private place to sit on the eggs and keep them fed watered and remove the oh so horrible broody poo.
    This year though I have had one problem, well only happened twice, but I am curious if there is some knowledge out there on it.
    I have had three broods:

With the first set I had one chick that when I checked under mama the shell was not apart like normal it was more or less shattered, not broke in half like I normally see and the chick was dead. The 4 other chicks hatched just fine
    With the third I checked today same thing, one of the chicks and shell were more or less like they were smashed. The other egg is still fine, waiting on it to hatch sometime today.

These both happened on hatch day. Both mama are 3rd time mama's.

Any thoughts?

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have had one like that before sounds like it got squished.

3. chickarooo

chickarooo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    I had a broody sitting on 9 eggs all hatched but only 1 survived because my broody squished them[​IMG]

4. chickarooo

chickarooo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    But today two chicks hatch and they are alive and thriving

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG] I usually take the chicks from mom, brood them in the house while she hatches out the rest then let them get their sea legs, food and water give'm back to mom. she always takes'm even in the day.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Humm wish iknew more about the broody and eggs.Maybe know something about the chick in it or maybe they are just moving around a lot on the nest as chicks hatch and one gets in the way I had one 1/2 out that died too not smashed though but under the henJust dead with the shell off its upper half.Only left on its butt.I felt like it got smothered 3 others had hatched already.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by