Hatching my Pekin duck eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken7777, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    Hello everyone, well this is my first time hatching eggs. I have an incubator and put the pekin duck eggs inside the incubator this sunday that passed.
    I went ahead and tried candling the eggs but i dont really know what to look for. I see something like a dot on the inside of the egg like if its attached to the side of the egg shell because it doesnt look like if its moving..i have another egg that its yolk moves a little when i candle it so dont know what that is either... I have 15 eggs in total that are in the incubator and three that i have collected from these three days that have passed.....should i incubate them too?

These are the first eggs of my pekin duck. They are small not as large as i thought but will this affect anything in the hatching proccess?

I would appreciate the help and information on incubating them
    Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Hi,

A fertile egg at a week old looks like a small red blob with spidery, red things attached to it. A few days before hatching, the egg will be pitch black besides the air sac.

3. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    Thank you...i am surprised there i only one person that was able to help me out.....I know there are more people with experience...[​IMG]

Well when do you think i should candle them again to make sure they are fertile and alive?

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by