We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Hatching newbie under broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mooliejones, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Mooliejones

Mooliejones In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2018
    Hi, I am having a bit of a disaster incubating under my broody hen. We only had one fertile egg under her and it began to hatch (pipped and could see movement and noisy). It seemed to dry out and got stuck. The next time we checked under the hen to see the egg was flattened a bit and it died. I think it dried out probably we were excited and checked to often and disturbed the process. I have now got some eggs from a friend but we don’t know when they are due to hatch. I picked on up today to candle and it was moving and chirping in the egg so I popped it back quick under her. What are the chances of it hatching? It is my only one so I am just going to leave her for a couple of days without intervening and fingers crossed!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would not disturb her. Doing so may cause her to squash any pipped eggs inadvertently. Good luck.

3. Mooliejones

Mooliejones In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2018
    Thank you. I think that was what happened to the last egg unfortunately. I am leaving her to get on with it. How long though before I check in case nothing is happening? :0)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: