Hatching!!! Now what?!?!

MelanieOzuna

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 2, 2012
Okay, so I have 12 out of 14 that pipped this morning. So far I have 3 live, dry chicks. The rest all have at least a breath hole and I see them moving but they don't look like they are doing much more. Humidity is around 68% and heat is 99.5. I just want to make sure they will emerge okay on their own. Some eggs have a little blood in them. Is that normal? I feel like I should be helping them. I would hate to lose them because I didn't know a tip or trick.

Thanks in advance!!

let them do it on their own. Leave the incubator closed. One of my chicks took 13 hours to hatch while the rest hatched within minutes.
Blood is normal. There are veins inside the egg shell. When they hatch sometimes there will be blood left in the egg shell from those veins.
If the chicks do not hatch then there was a reason. Some kind of defect, or weak chick. Helping can kill the chick.

Thanks for your reply! I bought 16 eggs from a breeder. After the first candling I knew I had 14 fertile. My final chick emerged an hour ago (pains taking wait :/) I got 14 out of 14. I feel like a champ!!!!!

Thanks for your reply! I bought 16 eggs from a breeder. After the first candling I knew I had 14 fertile. My final chick emerged an hour ago (pains taking wait :/) I got 14 out of 14. I feel like a champ!!!!!

Wow that is really good! What kind of chickens? What bator did you use? And if a chick is in trouble hatching it might be because the humidity was to low..I had made the mistake of opening the bator too much! Didn't know about lock down! So the one we had to help was shrink wrapped...when the membrane is to dry and sticks tightly to the chick, but the chick is fine and very healthy! On this sight there are step by step instructions on how to help a chick hatch!

I attempted to get Blue Orpingtons but the lady didn't want to sell those eggs. She sold me (what she called) silver laced sussex. I think they are just light sussex. Anyway, I ended up with 8 dark grey and white ones. After a little research I think she sold me some Blues. All eggs were marked sussex. Im using a styrofoam Hovorbator. Threw the box away so can't tell you exactly which one. It was a $200 deal with the egg rotator, fan, digital temp./humidity gauge. My humidity was around 50% for 18 days. Then I bumped it up to around 70% the last 3 days. Have to say, I didn't know about lockdown so I never really did it. I only had two that were slightly stuck to skin but only on the body. I have the bator in my house where it is fairly warm and humid anyway.

Back
Top Bottom