hatching oddity ya gotta see this chick!! (graphic pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by therealsilkiechick, Feb 23, 2008.

1. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i did not know where to put this, sorry if i put it under the wrong thing please move it to where it should be.
    thanks,
    silkie

i had a buff silkie not hatch after 24 hours of a good pip so we opened it a tiny bit at a time to see what happened since the hatch is late. we knew it was dead after so far open due to the baby not moving and the lack of color and blood in the membrain. so we oped the egg up more and sure enough it was dead but to our surprise it is a weird oddity. we don't know what caused it.

the babies abdoman is streatched up to it's shoulders and somehow the baby's head is through it, like it's yolk sac is a donut. it is fully formed nothing wrong with it except this and the yolk sac is fully attached. the abdoman is fully covered i guess u could call it also. does anyone know what would cause this and how it grew this way? has anyone ever heard of this type of thing before??

here is 2 pics i'm uploading more pics of it now. would love ur imput on this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    [​IMG] thats very weird.... [​IMG]

3. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i know i was shocked to see it, too. the yolk sack is not broke either which i can't figure out how the beak made it through let alone whole head or how it grew that way without it breaking. [​IMG]

here is a few more pics. thought with extra shots mabe someone would have an idea what caused it. i'm hopeing it is a freak thing cause i don't know how to save the rest if not. i still have about 8 more of these eggs in. keep ur fingers crossed everyone else is fine and makes it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  4. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    so its alive like that!!! :eek: [​IMG] [​IMG] thats S0000000000 Weird! [​IMG] for the others [​IMG]

5. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    I am just amazed when something like this happens. It is like it is that way for us to learn by, but how? Thank you for shareing that with us. I lost a baby white silkie today too. [​IMG]

6. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Don't know if you have a university close by with an ag school, but I bet they'd be interested in seeing it. I know OSU would; they have an ag school and teach poultry science.

7. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    it was alive till pip and was peeping till after i went to sleep at 6 something this am. when i woke up and check i didn't hear it but left it in more hours just incase. then when we checked again this is what we found. i'm a nervous wreck now,lol.

well the first buff made it out and is fine and holy HUGE vault!! [​IMG] will add pics in the baby section when it's ok to go in the brooder. so one should make it fine so far, thank goodness!!!

8. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    penn state is 5 miles from me never thought of that. it is our agricultural center.

awe so sorry to hear that pine. [​IMG] big hugs. hopefully the rest make it ok sofar one has here. i don't know mabe to teach us we shouldn't ship eggs,lol. it looks like it actually grew that way then it suffocated it when it tried to hatch with it around it's neck. only thing i can think of was mabe rough shipping? i don't know.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Were the egg shipped? I would say that was either caused somehow by shipping or from candling/moving during very early stages of incubation causing the embryo to get intertwined with the growth network. But that's just my guess. I would also imagine that oddity could happen as a natural issue in embryo development as so many other things can go wrong during the development stages. Very interesting.

Jody

10. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    hinkjc is right. This could be caused by the embryo becoming tangled in the egg contents, which is sometimes a result of turning or over-candling in the early to middle stages of incubation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by