Hatching on Wire

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dirty Dozen, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    Last time I hatched in the bator (only 2 chicks) one fell under the wire. I would like to put something on wire like shelf liner. Will that soak up alot of the humidity? I am hatching bantams & they always seem to hatch 2 days early. Candled over weekend & 25 out of 28 seemed viable. Humidity if 45; was told to up it to 70 2 days before hatch. That sound good? My 1st real hatch with a bunch of eggs! Have only used broodies in the past...they make it so easy. You can handle & candle to your heart's delight & they STILL hatch! Wish me luck...[​IMG]

2. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    I always use shelf liner, so I have nothing to compare it to. But I can say that I have no trouble keeping my humidity levels at wherever they need to be.

70% sounds good! [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Vera, are you using a standard incubator or a home made one? I have never had chicks get under the wire in my incubators and I hatch a lot. Even my quail hatch just fine on the wire. That is odd as the wire goes out to the edges of the bator and I can't figure how they would get under it. I have heard folks using shelf liner in their bators with success. Good luck with your hatch!

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Mine all hatch on wire and I've never had a problem. Shelf liner is used by alot of people and they say it works out great.

5. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    It's a Hovabator. The wire is hardware cloth & very light. Since there was only 1 chick & 1 egg, maybe there wasn't enough weight to keep it flat cause he was under wire, in corner, luckily not in the water! Thanx!

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Well, those little buggers can get themselves into anything, huh. lol I'm so glad he didn't get in the water well too. Good job thinking ahead for next time.

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I use the rubbery shelf liner, but find I have to fill three basins instead of just two.. I don't think its so much absorbing the moisture as it is blocking the flow of air across the water, in effect, decreasing the surface area.

8. paridisefarm2009

paridisefarm2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson Florida
    Hello : I used 2 rocks in the corners heavy enough to keep it flat so it would keep them even and from the eggs from rolling all over [​IMG]
    and I got all those little babies in that picture 13 of them It was my first time hatching

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I set containers on the edges or lay a water bottle full of water along the side to hold the mesh flat in my bators. The wire does bend up otherwise. The sealed containers of water also help keep the temp stable by adding more mass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by