Hatching ONLY for fun?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tylt33, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Do any of you hatch only for fun i.e. not keep any chicks? I live on a small piece of land (.25 acre) in a city where chickens are illegal in the first place and I already have five chickens, so keeping any more is more or less impossible. I'd like to hatch some just for fun and then sell them or give them away, but I don't know how hard it is to let them go. I think I would have a difficult time.

2. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I agree that it would be hard to give them away, and that it may also be difficult to find homes for them, but other wise it sounds like fun. It would be a great experience. [​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

My own private opinion is that a responsible flock owner probably needs to know there are homes lined up for whatever is produced. Just as dog/cat breeders.
    Just my $.02. Do you know folks who would like some chicks? If so, being a hatcher would be great. If not, perhaps taking a moment to contemplate the reality that the chicks will indeed need a home that you won't be able to provide, by your own admission. Again, just one guy's opinion.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Never had any trouble letting chicks, ducklings, goslings, pigeons, etc move on to new homes. Puppies, now that's another story.[​IMG]

5. Tylt33

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Fred's Hens :

My own private opinion is that a responsible flock owner probably needs to know there are homes lined up for whatever is produced. Just as dog/cat breeders.
    Just my $.02. Do you know folks who would like some chicks? If so, being a hatcher would be great. If not, perhaps taking a moment to contemplate the reality that the chicks will indeed need a home that you won't be able to provide, by your own admission. Again, just one guy's opinion.

I figured that people always wanted chickens... maybe that isn't the case? I was thinking about trying a dozen or so eggs at a time, and either giving away those that hatched or selling them very cheaply.​

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I post my free hatching services on a local classified website. I accept eggs only from folks who want me to hatch eggs for THEM. That way I know they have a home. I then offer to keep the chicks for 5-7 days before they go home. In return for my "free" services, I am usually offered a couple chicks for my keeping if I choose. I'm able to have a varied and beautiful flock and get the experience the joy of hatching!

7. Tylt33

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Quote:Oh my gosh, that's a great idea! How often do people take you up on your offer??? I would think that would be a lot of fun!

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Last year I hatched just shy of 1,000 chicks. I sold them to two different feed stores for $1.50 each. They sold them for $2.50 each.

9. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I agree with the others I don't think I would hatch unless I had room for the chicks as a back up plan if no one wanted them. I am on my second hatching and will be keeping most of them but the rest I already have another farm that wants chickens once they have gotten to be teens so I am not worried that I will be overcrowding my coops with chickens [​IMG]. I do love hatching though so if there was an excuse to hatch and all the babies had homes then I would definitely hatch more.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    You have 5 chickens and are illegal. You think you might have trouble letting them go.

NorCal is loaded with chicken owners. How are you planning on NOT getting busted? 50/50 chance of hatching cockerals- if they don't sell, and you can't give them away, are you prepared to butcher them? Just to shut them up?

I think you might not be quite ready for it, but do you have a friend who can legally have chickens? That might be an easier way to enjoy hatching. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by