Hatching Our First Eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrsodell1980, Oct 10, 2012.

1. mrsodell1980

mrsodell1980 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    Clarksburg, CA
    Our first chick just hatched! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 more to go!! Happy dance happy dance [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. sagenhoney

sagenhoney Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2012
    Great pics.....I'm excited for you.

It appears you may have the same incubator I have (pro series made by Farm Innovators?).
    I am on day 16 of my first incubating batch. We got a rooster a few months ago and weren't totally sure our eggs were fertilized, but it seems that they are. I think I started with about 24 eggs, discarded 7 on Day 9 after candling, and today checked again because I began to pick up a smell when I opened the top to add water. I discarded 2 this time, the smelly one and the one next to it b/c it wasn't as developed as the others.

Candling brown eggs is not as easy as others I suppose. Basically at this point they all have black mass inside. This Thursday I will remove them from the turner and put them on the wire... and increase humidity and decrease the temp. Is this what you did?

Did you have any trouble during your process? I kinda noticed that the ones closest to the heating element seems to do the best.

i

3. mrsodell1980

Oct 1, 2012
    Clarksburg, CA
    This is our first batch, and yes, same incubator :) This morning there weren't anymore chicks, but all eggs are pipped. We also set another 15 a week later, so they're due the 19th/20th. Of course we'll be out of town, so our house/animal sitter will get all the fun that weekend. We started with 12 in this batch, so if we get 9 chicks I'll be super happy!!
    We didn't have a hard time candling our brown eggs, it was the blue ones that we couldn't see inside at all for some reason, so they were my crap shoot. They're pipped, so hoping for the best!
    I haven't noticed any problems with this incubator, but I hate that the windows are so small, and I felt like I had a hard time controlling the temperature. I think I'm going to order the Brinsea, whose name escapes me, but it holds 7 hen eggs. I'm thinking I can move the eggs to that one when they stop turning, and that way we can watch them hatch easier :)
    Hoping for more chicks when I get home from work!!

4. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Congratualtions! hatch day is so exciting, isn't it???!!! You might want to block off your egg turner from the babies and pipped eggs so they dont get hurt though.... Good luck with the babies [​IMG]

5. mrsodell1980

Oct 1, 2012
    Clarksburg, CA
    This has hands down been the coolest thing I've ever witnessed, and I have 2 children! I think it's because I kind of got to create life, and it didn't cause me pain ;-)
    I realized that last night as soon as this guy started drunk walking all over everyone and slamming into everything. Too late now, since the other eggs are pipped I can't open the incubator, so we'll have to see how the next batch goes. Next time we try to do 2 batches that are hatching at different times, we'll move the hatching eggs to a new incubator when they stop turning...learning as we go :)

6. mrsodell1980

Oct 1, 2012
    Clarksburg, CA
    We have 7 chicks total! 1 guy had a hard time getting out and we ended up having to help him last night. It looks like his egg got rolled over onto his pip and it was starting to dry out. He seems fine, but we have him isolated for the day just to be sure. Other 6 seem happy and healthy :) SO EXCITING!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. chefchick

Jun 2, 2011
    cute! I never get tired of seeing baby chicks! Now I want some more...but dh packed up my incubators and hid them on me.....

8. mrsodell1980

Oct 1, 2012
    Clarksburg, CA
    haha, it should be a crime to hide incubators! ;-) Who is dh?

9. chefchick

Jun 2, 2011
    dh= dear husband....or, in this case chicken nazi :) He's a good guy...just tired of building new animal houses

10. kays chicks

kays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Derby UK
    congrats love seeing new hatches

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by