Hatching pea chick eggs...day 14 advice needed!

nursefarmer0716

Hatching
Jun 6, 2016
First time incubator rookie here...just turned my pea eggs and felt that one had significantly changed...the egg felt like something solid is sloshing around like a rock inside...does this mean that the egg is bad? Please advise. Also please keep in mind I am new to incubating so be kind with any advice.
1f60a.png
Thanks in advance!
1f60a.png

I have never hatched or incubated and since these are peafowl eggs, it would be best if you posted your questions there. Put "Peafowl thread," in the searchbox and it should pop up for you.

You need to candle your eggs to determine what is going on inside.
I just went through this in the last month. 30 eggs, four hatched, two lived.
At day 14 you should see what vaguely looks like a spider in the upper center of the egg.
This can be hard to see in dark shelled eggs but you want to see some opaque area.
Things that immediately raise red flags:
2 weeks go by and the egg is clear - either unfertilized or damaged in shipping, no live embryo
air sack moves around - essentially a scrambled egg - likely damaged in shipping
blood rings - embryo died at some point

There is lots more info on the net, pics too

Pea eggs should look sort of like this:

Their shells are much darker than duck, so it can be difficult to see. To see better, try using two candlers... one at the fat end, one at the pointy end.

-Kathy

First time incubator rookie here...just turned my pea eggs and felt that one had significantly changed...the egg felt like something solid is sloshing around like a rock inside...does this mean that the egg is bad? Please advise. Also please keep in mind I am new to incubating so be kind with any advice.
1f60a.png
Thanks in advance!
1f60a.png

Be very careful rattling an egg around as it can break the chick loose inside the egg and it will stop developing and die in shell. Now, at 14 days there should be no rattle and as stated candeling is the best remedy. If the egg is dead and you can feel a small rattle then usually you can roll it around and if it tries to go to one side like a weeble wobble, then it is more than likely bad and you really do not want to shake it around to much as it could be a mini bomb. Candle and post pics if you can, good luck,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom