Hatching Perkins first time

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by moodybubbles, Mar 11, 2016.

1. moodybubbles

moodybubbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    I set 9 on feb 17 at 4 pm. 6 were developing on day 7 and the 3 that were not were tossed on day 13-14.

Humidity is 49-60% temp is 99.5-100.5. The bator is forced air lg. I turn the eggs 5 am 2 pm and 9-10 pm.

I left both red plugs in. I will stop turning on day Sunday and I believe hatch day to be tues, wed the 15-16th of March.

The eggs were stored at room temp. Not rotated daily, all not over a week old, the humidity has fluctuated, the temp has been constant although when I used a second thermometer initially it read 99. Now that second thermometer when I checked today reads 97.

I know not everything has been done by the book perfect. I'm hoping for the best.

i can't remember if day 1 is the day I set or 24 hours later an day has passed so that is day 1?

If these ducks hatch, could I possibly set it up so that the mother goose I have could be their momma? I wanted her to hatch for me but she has a nest with 10 of her own infertile goose eggs, she has not gone broody. My plan was for her to hatch and raise but I'm wondering if I could just get her or one of my pekin ducks to raise them? Or is it a must for another fowl to raise them she must have hatched them?

I know I can't throw baby ducklings who need to be kept warm in with full grown ducks with no momma...maybe is there a way to set up one female duck or goose for the ducklings to imprint upon? And she guide them from almost birth?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @Lacrystol @Orca5094

3. moodybubbles

Aug 30, 2009
    Otherwise how do I keep them from imprinting on me? I really wanted the birds to do this job.

4. moodybubbles

Aug 30, 2009
    I did lock Down yesterday morning. One hatched this morning.

5. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Ducks take a long time to hatch unlike chickens. if they have started hang tight, lets see what happens.. Sounds like your doing good so far...

6. moodybubbles

Aug 30, 2009
    I don't know exactly the time they pipped. The first one was zipped before I even knew it. I got up and thought I heard a tapping, then a bit later checked and saw that the one was almost free completely. The two that I can see a slight Chopin the egg from inside have done nothing for almost 24 hours since I noticed te chip. Actually one of them jumped when I shined the flashlight on it one time. Otherwise nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by