Hatching Predicament

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenmomma16, Mar 18, 2013.

1. chickenmomma16

chickenmomma16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Buckley, Washington
    I am so sad to report that my favorite roo "Mojito" disappeared this morning with no trace. He was so well mannered and I really wanted to hatch chicks from him this year to add to my layer flock. I have broody1 sitting on 13 eggs (due 4/5) and another hen, broody2 wanted to sit on eggs too so I let her sit on yesterdays and todays eggs because my spazy back up roo will probably 'wash' out all traces of Mojito lickity split. This is his dream come true. :/

So here's my predicament... While I was out looking on the property for traces of my beloved rooster I FINALLY found my turkey hen's nest! :yesss: The little stinker was hoarding 13 eggs! She is not broody herself and I was planning on letting one of the chickens hatch a few poults for me before I let other people take them. But now my main priority is to beef up my layer population before all trace of Mojito is gone. I hate to waste these eggs as I only have one turkey hen. I dont know what to set under broody number 2? Its still early enough to switch out her eggs.

I don't know if anyone would be interested in the turkey eggs if I haven't proven hatchability yet and they were stored in the ground damp on some leaves. Only 3 or 4 looked less then a week old, the rest who knows. :idunno

Should I just enjoy turkey egg omeletts until I can set turkey eggs to prove hatchability of the turkey eggs?

Or kick out broody2's chicken eggs and put in turkey eggs to get the ball rolling on that end?

I'm so upset about loosing Mo I don't know what what to do. Sorry for the long post.

2. summerw06

summerw06 New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    I'm new at this....I 'm getting two turkey eggs a day... What do I do with them until I get enough to incubate a batch???

3. chickenmomma16

Jul 16, 2012
    Buckley, Washington

I'm kinda new to this to but from what I gather here is what I do to maximize hatch rate:

1. Store air cell UP (fat end up)
    2. Keeping a consistant cool environment neither to cold or hot
    3. Do not wash the eggs, if you must knock off poo use a dry paper towel
    4. Make sur the egg can breathe, don't use those plastic egg cartons the paper ones are fine.
    5. Keep the eggs turned or tilted. I put one end up on a book or another carton and switch sids a couple times a day.

Thats what I do I'm sure others do it differently and I have seen some say they do nothing special so I ultimately say do what fits you.

I forgot to add,

6. Don't eat them! My husband learned to ask before he cracks a bunch of eggs. Marking a special carton helps too. Also don't forget to write down what eggs were laid when.

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I do hope you left a few eggs in that nest so she keeps coming back.

5. chickenmomma16

Jul 16, 2012
    Buckley, Washington

I thought about leaving a couple in it but it wasn't that great of a spot. I'm hoping she will choose a better spot so I took all the eggs. The turkey is only a year old so she is still learning.

Oh I did leave eggs in broody2's nest but she broke her own broodyness. I will be happy with what ever my dedicated broody hatches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by