Hatching problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hickchick327, Jan 31, 2013.

1. hickchick327

hickchick327 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    I have some eggs in the incubator hatching now :). Anyhow one chick hatched and died before getting all of the way out of the egg. Any ideas? It looks like the yolk wasn't all the way absorbed. Hovabator styro incubator, temp: 99-100 humidity 57%. I've never had this happen before. This is my third hatch. [​IMG]

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    this chick hatched like this? was it assisted?

3. hickchick327

Apr 4, 2012
    It hatched like this and died. It had zipped and was pushing the top part of its shell off. I checked an hour later and it was dead. It did still have a piece of the shell stuck to its bottom. But it was already dead. I pulled it out of the incubator to ck for signs of life n then took this pic. No assist to the hatch at all. I've bad four others hatch fine so far. I'd never seen one like this before.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I have only seen that with assists, so sorry. I have NO clue what went wrong that made it not absorb all that, poor mite! I pray you never get that again!

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    his feet even looked all bundled up yet, I cant see how he got out of the shell. must have been strong at one point

6. hickchick327

Apr 4, 2012
    Ya know I was thinking about that too. I still had the other chicks in there too. They were just starting to dry but flopping around a bit. Could one have knocked him/rolled him before he was out of his shell good and ripped him and his yolk sac before he was ready to emerge all the way? I just pray it doesn't happen again. How horrible to make it that long and then die at the end of hatching :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by