HATCHING PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MontainBourbons, Feb 13, 2016.

1. MontainBourbons

MontainBourbons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    McCall Idaho
    I have been hatching chicken eggs for around a month now. For some reason my temperature, humidity, and fertility are very good. I don't open the incubator at hatch or do anything to interupt them. I have a brand new sportsman incubator. For some reason my eggs all ways are developing until hatch day but on hatch day everu thing goes wrong. I t always looks like it will be a good hatch but nope I always get around a 33% :( hatch rate.
    Any ideas of what I could be doing wrong?
    PLEASE HELP

2. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    What are your temperature and humidity settings?

3. MontainBourbons

Jan 31, 2016
    McCall Idaho
    99.5 during setting and 99 during hatching, and 50% humidity during setting and 75% during hatching.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  5. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Have you thought about trying without adding any water to the incubator until lockdown? Dry hatch method - this is what I use :)

6. MontainBourbons

Jan 31, 2016
    McCall Idaho
    My egg sacs are developing fine I always check them with a chart to make sure it is good. And all vents are open plus the setting humidity was more along the limes of 45%. And we have not heard too good of results for dry hatching from my friends.

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    If you feel your incubation techniques are ok it could be an egg quality problem or a genetic problem with the embryos. Parent bird health can also play a factor in hatch rates. Another thing to consider is how the eggs are stored and turned prior to incubation. Do you only set clean eggs? Setting dirty eggs can cause growth of bacteria in the incubator.

8. MontainBourbons

Jan 31, 2016
    McCall Idaho
    Well we sell eggs on ebay and most of our customers het around a 90% to 80% hatch rate so it is not that. And our eggs are clean as we get them.
    Is there a specific way you have to put them in the hatcher?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    xs 2 I would consider running a low humidity incubation for the first 17 days and checking air cells to confirm your humidity is working for you. I'll throw another link at you, this is the method I use and many others have great results with it as well. http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

10. Airbus

Airbus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2016
    Bradford County PA
    Big side up, when put in a auto turner, otherwise they can't pip out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by