Hatching problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by heathersboers, Dec 23, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    OK- I set a dozen mixed eggs on Dec 1st at 7 pm- No pips-chirps or anything - i am thinking on doing the float test- I accidentally put them on lockdown a day early- Any possibility I may have killed em? humidity is 65 and temp is 99.5- they are due tonight arent they?? Never had this problem before-they usually roll around and chirp. I candled them before lockdown and they are fully formed.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. PupuMcgoo

PupuMcgoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Deep South
    Now I dont now what lockdown is but if ya ment ya quit turnin it aint gonna do no damage with just one day. Can ya see any movement in them eggs when ya candle. I got myself one them projector boxes. shoot ya can see it all. some times they hatch late. I dont know none about chicken hatchn and how long it takes but when my danged ole pheasants are bout to come on out of there I quit that turnin 3 days before and two day before I kick that sucker up to 85% humidity from 55% and drop that temp on down from 99.75 to bout 99. I aint never don that water trick cause it sound too much trouble ta get that water temp jus right, but it might help. [​IMG]

yall might make sure yur temp is readn right. It might say somthin and be another temp, that will make them little suckers come outta ther late. Hope that's all, dont like it non when they die in that shell, but shoot that would never happen with all dozen eggs cept if they been mailed to ya

[​IMG]

3. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    I been waiting on some frizzles I put in the bator Dec 3rd. One hatched last night, just one. Now I got one really pipped in there. I am not sure. I was wondering if this crazy weather has anything to do with it. See if you can candle them and see movement. Sometimes it takes a couple seconds to see movement. Put them back in the bator for a few more days making sure the water is full, and sit on your hands and don't open the bator. I know, I had to sit on mine. Good luck. Let me know.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

No you didn't kill them. Temp or humidity spikes or drops at the beginning or end of hatch makes virtually no difference at all. Since they are only two days late, I would certainly candle for movement to see what you can. I bet they are just late.

5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Is it a still air or forced air incubator?

6. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Still air bator- I figured out what I did- i counted the day I put them in even though it was that night!! I should have started day one on the 2nd of Dec instead of the 1st [​IMG] I have 1 hatched and 2 more pipped. Phew!! I was soooo depressed for a minute there...

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Told ya! [​IMG]

8. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    A still air shouldn't be at 99.5, it should be at 100.5

That is the slight delay in your hatch dates.... Glad to hear that they are finally hatching for you though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by