1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by milliefleur, Aug 21, 2011.

1. milliefleur

milliefleur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i was on here a few days ago and asked about hatching in incubators. i got a few more question, and i had a problem with my last hatch that was for today. this is my first time with this problem i had it happen 3 times. i had some eggs that started to hatch but they never finished and died in the egg very upsetting for me, what is going on? is it me, or is it the bantams, or both? it is really upsetting to go through all that work and nothing. also if you see that a peep is having problems getting out of the egg can you help it or not? one more question, for the humidity what is the most affective way to increase the humidity? i saw online that some people put humidity pads in there moisture pan, is that away to raise the humdity and keep it up and consistent? thanks for all the help last time. byc is such a great forum, and i asked questions and no one wanted to help to talk to you not like byc. thanks to everyone for helping me and talking to me its nice to have people like all of you to help when i have no one else to ask questions about.

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Sounds like your humidity is too low at lockdown and they are drying up. As far as raising the humidity, it depends on what kind of incubator you have.
    I have a Brinsea ECO 20. I put a straw through the vent hole without opening the incubator and use a syringe to put water directly under the eggs on a paper towel.
    I use this method if I see the humidity dropping before all the eggs are done.

3. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i have a gqf 1270

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:What kind of incubator do you have? I was having problems until, someone suggested I ride the instructions and follow them. The words that stand out are "You can be an expert in one day follow the directions. My hatches went from 1 or 2 a hatch, to half hatching,on shipped eggs. The rest is learning how your incubator works in your environment. good luck Michele

5. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i have a gqf 1270 cabinet incubator. i have the same problem i would get 1 or 2 but all my eggs were from my own bantams. so i guess some of it might be the hens or roosters, but i think well i know its more me i will read it again and to make sure all is good. is your pic you have of a d'uccle porcelain i wish i could zoom in and get a better look but i looks beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by