Hatching pullet eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CalicoFarm, May 17, 2009.

1. CalicoFarm

CalicoFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    North East Alabama
    How long should a pullet be laying before I incubate the eggs? I have some silver sebrights that have been laying about 2 weeks now, just wondering how long I should wait before I try hatching some.

2. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Are they fertile ?

3. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    If you think they're fertile/might be fertile, stick some in to see what happens! [​IMG]

4. CalicoFarm

CalicoFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    North East Alabama
    Quote:I'm pretty sure they are. The ones I have cracked open have the bullseye. I just don't want to end up with tiny/weak chicks. Is that possible with hens that just started laying?

5. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I was too impatient to wait. I hatch my first serama pullets first 6 eggs and all but one hatched, one of the hatchlings died, so I had 4 chicks. I had to help all but one. I am not sure if that was due to them being pullet eggs, them being a short legged breed, or due to humidity issues or maybe a combination. I also did not know any better than to open the incubator during a hatch, so I am sure that did not help, lol. Except the one that died, none of my chicks were tiny (for the breed) or weak, just a bit harder to hatch [​IMG]

6. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Well I guess anything is possible. However I have heard of people hatching pullet eggs. Don't really know how their chickens are now though. So.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by