Hatching Pullet Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wjeffgriggs, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Wjeffgriggs

Wjeffgriggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    In the process of hatching pullet eggs. To be specific from a 5 month old Silkie hen . She has been laying for a few weeks and her eggs have no issues. Perfectly shaped and tasty may I add. Just a bit smaller than then average egg. I decided to incubate 8 of the eggs. I want to here form people that have hatched pullet eggs. I want to know your success rate and what I can expect. Please only reply if you have experience with with incubating pullet eggs.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Have done it many times. As long as the egg is decent size for the chicken who laid it and the pullet is very healthy, it can hatch a chick just fine. Even the slightly small eggs can hatch a chick. If the chick is smaller than average, it seems to catch up to the others in time. JMHO, for what it's worth.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I am on my first pullet hatch right now. Its day 9 and out of the 38 I put in the incubator 27 are developing wonderfully (I think the ones that didn't grow were frozen before I collected them so the embryo was killed :( ). My eggs aren't full size yet but my hens and rooster are 6 months as of the end of January so around the same age as yours. Good luck with your eggs I will be following your thread and I will keep you posted on mine too [​IMG]

4. Wjeffgriggs

Aug 29, 2011
    Thanks so much

5. Wjeffgriggs

Aug 29, 2011
    @LilyD

Look's like we are going to have the same hatch day. Do you want to keep each other updated?

6. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I've heard that eggs from pullets and birds in their first year of laying are more likely to be roosters. You'll have to let us know if there is any truth in that. :)

7. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT

Definitely right now I have 27 still going strong and will be candling on Sunday to do my final removals. Hopefully everyone is doing okay. How are your babies doing?

Don't know how true that is but if it is it would be cool. The birds that I hatch out will be meat birds unless of course they are pullets and then they will go to one of the many farms who want my girls hehe. I will keep track of boys versus girls and let you know.

*edited for spelling

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  8. Fuzz Fuzz

Fuzz Fuzz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Netherlands
    My girls are just starting to lay for the first time, when they all are laying i will be hatching pullet eggs to.

But it might take a couple of weeks before they all lay, just two days ago i found the first egg.[​IMG]

They are young and the weather won't coƶperate eighter.[​IMG] But we'll see.

Oh my girls are bantam silkies, white, black and paint.

9. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Congrats the babies should be cute [​IMG]

10. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Hatched my first pullett egg her 5th egg , a Lav Orp and it is doing great!! Have others in lockdown
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by