Hatching pullet eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marlene, Feb 25, 2012.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have a couple of breeds that i would like to hatch out their eggs to keep my stock replenished, 1 of the breeds has been laying for about 3 weeks now and the other is due to start laying but has not as yet.
    My question is how long should i wait to hatch pullet eggs? If i hatch from small pullet eggs, will the birds i hatch be smaller and grow to be smaller? as my aim is to hatch these breeds because they are large breeds and i want to keep the true size of them.

2. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I would wait a month or so. I waited about 1 to 2 months before setting any of my eggs from my first time layers. I am going to be getting rid of one of my roosters so I wanted some like him.

3. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I hatched my Lav Orp pullet eggs and the chicks were little but grew fast! I can't tell the difference now size wise beween the "older" egg hatch vs. pullet. It was her 3rd or 4th egg, I don't remember.
    Ayda
    Good Luck

4. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Thank you for the replies.
    Will wait a few more weeks and then fill my bator with the eggs from the pullets that are already laying.
    Their eggs are slowly getting bigger, so i think waiting 2 more weeks will be good, plus the weather will be a bit warmer for when they hatch.
    What is the best way to store the eggs and what is the ideal temp they should be stored at before incubating?

5. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I don't think they could develop right in a small egg... You should wait until they get a little bigger.

6. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I am just reaching hatching with my pullet eggs they are a little smaller than full size hen eggs but so far I have 3 babies that are all very spunky and I have 10 more pips that are hatching. I did wait about 6 weeks after they started laying before I actually grabbed up eggs to hatch but so far it's looking like a pretty good hatch for me.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    If setting pullet eggs make sure they are normal size and not too small, the chicks go the same size and have problems turning when zipping. I think you are making the right choose to wait.
    Michele

8. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I personally wouldn't worry about it and don't. I hatch out of my pullet eggs all the time and sometimes the babies are smaller but they catch up really fast. I hatch chicks every week all year long. I take the eggs when I can get them. Sometimes my pullets are the only ones laying.

Lanae

9. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to share your experiences of hatching pullet eggs.
    I am not in a rush to hatch, as long as i get some new chicks brooded before the winter comes, i will be happy. They will be for new laying stock come next year, so i am happy to wait a few weeks to a month, to give the pullet eggs a chance to grow a bit and for the weather to warm up a bit before i start brooding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by