Hatching pullet eggs??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hillschicks, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    I just read someone said they were setting hatching eggs that were "double doomed" because they were pullet eggs and refridgerated... Do pullet eggs not hatch well??? At what point is a pullet no longer a pullet??? Would last spring/summer chicks be considered pullets still?? My oldest started laying last june, our youngest layers around october... Are they pullets until their first molt?? Ive also heard pullets until 1 year old?? We would like to hatch some eggs in a couple months, just some wonders

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I hatched pullet eggs a few weeks ago and they all but one of the four hatched. They are all healthy and happy. I have read pullet eggs shouldn't be hatched but I'm unsure as to why[​IMG]. I have also heard varying opinions as to what is considered a pullet. I say once they turn a year old they are now a hen. Good luck hatching.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It's recommended that you don't hatch the pullet's first few eggs because they are small (equals smaller chicks) and because they are still working on getting the egg thing right, so you may get double yolk eggs or yolk less eggs. After a month the pullets usually lay perfectly O.K. eggs.

4. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    Good deal, we should be ok then :) ... And brahma breeder, quick question... Our cockeral is a buff brahma... How old when brahmas start crowing and mating??

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Roosters are sexually mature at the same age as their sisters start laying. So when the hens lay eggs the rooster should be able to fertilise them. As for crowing... that could be any time really. I've heard of very young chicks "crowing" LOL

6. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I have a very young rooster already mating at 3 months. Havent heard him crow yet, but average age they crow is about 6 months.

7. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Pullets are pullets for a whole year, so their eggs can be quite large.
    The general reason why some breeders don't use pullet eggs is to make sure they're only hatching eggs from the strongest birds. If a pullet lives into her second laying season, the chances are she's a survivor with good genes.
    It's just one of those old-timer rules some people follow and some don't.
    cheers
    Erica

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think that was me :D If yours have been laying that long, you should be good to go. I actually set my Silkies very first eggs and had put them in the refrigerator, which is why I figured they were "double doomed". Of the refrigerated eggs I set in the bator (7) 3 are developing as they should, the other 4 were clear so I'm assuming they weren't fertile to begin with. Good luck with your hatching :)
    Nikki

9. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    :)

10. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Mine were I believe around 6 months when they started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by