1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Pullet Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sassybirds, Nov 3, 2013.

1. sassybirds

sassybirds Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Georgia
    Hello All!

I have just been wondering...I have a couple girls that have just starting laying and was wondering if any of you have hatched pullet eggs, if you can, or why it's not recommended.

Thanks!

2. taropal

taropal New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    If only you have any roosters around them. Otherwise the eggs are not properly fertilized and only good for eating. They will not hatch into baby chicks.

3. country chick1

country chick1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    i hatched pullet eggs this year and got a great rate of hatch....had 9 eggs in total under my 3 hens, one didn't hatch - hen knocked it out of nest and i didn't find it till it was very cold - one egg hatched but chick died a few hours later...so i ended up with 7 from 9 and they are all growing well....brought 6 eggs from someone - hatched 3 :( so i had a better rate with my pullet ones

4. sassybirds

Nov 3, 2013
    Georgia
    Well that's a great hatch rate! I was just wondering because I heard someone mention that they had to wait until their girls stopped laying pullet eggs to try and hatch some out. Were they a lot smaller than chicks hatched out of normal size eggs?

5. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I just hatched one of my leghorn's very first-laid egg recently. The chick is roughly a month old now. At first he was kinda skinny compared to his Ameraucana hatch mates. But now he's just the right size for his age.

So yes, it is VERY possible!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Strictly my experience from hatching both pullet eggs and jumbo+ eggs from my old white leghorns, the chicks from jumbo eggs definitely start out bigger and they tend to average a little bigger at maturity. And ime the chicks hatched from pullet/small eggs of the same bloodlines never hit the same size as the jumbo egg chicks. So with mine, small eggs are more likely to lead to smaller birds than their genetics would let them be if they had hatched from bigger eggs, while chicks from giant eggs are maybe a little bit bigger than average at maturity, but it doesn't seem to make as much difference. The hatch rate on regular eggs is better than pullet eggs, but haven't kept track well enough to know if that is mainly due to lower fertility with the pullet eggs, or more problems with the chicks developing/hatching.

7. sassybirds

Nov 3, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks for your input guys! It's great to hear other chicken folks experiences :) do y'all know how long they lay pullet eggs? I have heard two weeks...

8. country chick1

country chick1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    was a great hatch rate.....didn't seem to be smaller....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by