hatching Quail.. and chickens together? also.. a candler?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickeypoo, Apr 17, 2009.

1. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I know that the button quail will have a different hatch date and so forth.. but. i am not sure how much of a difference. If i started them on the 11th. when would they hatch? and when should i put the humidity up and stop turning? versus the chickens. which i started on the 10th. i have a third bator but i don't really want to start it up.. i've.. well i kind of ran out of room. lol. ( i live in a small mobile home) so.. here's my real question. I am supposed to get new eggs next week. and i wanted to know if i could put the buttons in with my chicken eggs so i can use the bator that i have running right now. instead of firing up the third... lol. or maybe i should ask the person to wait until the 27th or so to send eggs.

I haven't hatched eggs in a couple years and cannot remember everything. i had no success the last time with my buttons hatching so... i need all the help i can get.. i really want some without buying adults.

also was wondering what others use to candle there eggs with. i want to be able to see into some of my darker/thick shelled eggs. and any pics would be great:) so would all of your good hatching thoughts sent my way lol.

Sue

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Hi Sue they will be due on the 26th or around there [​IMG] They take 16 days to hatch. (and your chickens will be due around the 30th)

Up the humidty and stop turning 3-4 days before the 26th

I hatch chickens and quail eggs constantly... I have coturnix hatching and due tomorrow as well as chicken chicks. [​IMG] (set on differnet days).

I use LED pen flashlight to candle

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  3. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thanks so much:)

do i need to take the buttons out shortly after they hatch? i heard somewhere they need to be taken out sooner than a chick does. thanks again:)

Sue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by