Hatching quail eggs, help!!

LoLosChickens78

Chirping
Aug 11, 2022
So I am new to chickens this year, and tried my luck with some hatching eggs. My bantam eggs went to 25 days, I opened them, fully grown, but were recently passed. I also got quail eggs, had them in a separate incubator, not thinking they were even doing anything inside, since 2 of the six didn't develope. Also the only 2 I couldn't see inside when candling. Anyway, lockdown started 4 days ago. Today I decided to open one to see if there was anything. I broke the shell at the air sac side, sure enough something is moving inside. Now I am not sure what to do. Do I continue and see if I can save the chick or keep it in the incubator, will it be ok? Help please! 😬:hit

I'd put him back in the incubator. What has your humidity and temperature been throughout incubation? Are your meters calibrated?

Can you post pictures of the egg you cracked open?

I'd put him back in the incubator. What has your humidity and temperature been throughout incubation? Are your meters calibrated?

Can you post pictures of the egg you cracked open?
Temps have been steady at 37.8 C and humidity has been between 55-75%. I did put Coconut oil on the membrane and put it back in the incubator. Not calibrated. Here is a picture. It is still moving around in there. 🤞

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220913_203803_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220913_203803_Gallery.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 6
Temps have been steady at 37.8 C and humidity has been between 55-75%. I did put Coconut oil on the membrane and put it back in the incubator. Not calibrated. Here is a picture. It is still moving around in there. 🤞
Your temperature is way off, (way low) that particular chick needs about another 3 or 4 days in the incubation period. Also your humidity is way to high....should be around 35 to 45% during incubation, the last 3 or 4 days it should be raised to 50 to 55%.
What species of quail are you hatching, if Coturnix, incubation period is 18 days. If Bobwhites, Blues, Gamble, Valley quail, incubation period is 24 to 25 days.

They are Coturnix quail. So today is actually day 18. I honestly thought they were duds. It is not the best incubator and aside from the incubator temperature gauge and another one I had they were both a little different so not sure what is was actually at for sure. I feel like I failed them and not sure what to do at this point. :oops::hit

Well, I wouldn't hatch anymore until I had several accurate thermometers and at least 2 'salt tested' calibrated hygrometers. Never, ever trust the incubators sensors, they are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable.

Another good tool for the cheap foam/plastic incubators is the Inkbird ITC
306-T temperature controller. Runs about $31 from Amazon. They work straight out of the box, 'plug & play'.Will keep the temp exactly where you set it.
61BYbCRCHAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That chick probably isn't going to make it, :hugs Do a little research, ask questions and your next hatching experience will be totally different.

I'd calibrate your thermomotors and hydrometers and see if it shows more accurate readings.

Coturnix quail have an 18 day incubation period, so technically he was on track. Hatching a day or two late is also pretty common. If temperatures were running lower than you thought, they might not hatch for a few more days.

I'd keep an eye on the little one; there is still a chance he can make it. Make sure you are keeping the membrane moistened, and don't do anything with the other egg.

Well, I wouldn't hatch anymore until I had several accurate thermometers and at least 2 'salt tested' calibrated hygrometers. Never, ever trust the incubators sensors, they are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable.

Another good tool for the cheap foam/plastic incubators is the Inkbird ITC
306-T temperature controller. Runs about $31 from Amazon. They work straight out of the box, 'plug & play'.Will keep the temp exactly where you set it.
View attachment 3259209
That chick probably isn't going to make it, :hugs Do a little research, ask questions and your next hatching experience will be totally different.
Thank you so much! Definitely need to get that Inkbird!

Thank you so much! Definitely need to get that Inkbird!
Yep, the best investment you can make for reliable temperature control. It will operate 2 incubators or 1 incubator, 1 hatcher.
Even with only 1 temperature probe, it will keep the other incubator or hatcher at the same temp as the one with the probe.

Back
Top Bottom