Hatching quail eggs under a hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MoodyChicken, Apr 5, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    So last year I got four baby Japanese quail. Two died when they reached maturity. [​IMG] So I only had two left, and by pure luck one was a male and one was a female. And the little hen just started to lay! They're beautiful eggs, and huge for her size! I want to hatch them and surprise my dad (he loves quail), but I'm out of room in my bator. I have a broody, could I stick them under her? Or is that a bad idea?

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Could put them under one of your old enlish game, just make sure they cant get out of the brooder pen.

3. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    I posted a thread like this not to long ago. I have button quail eggs under my broody showgirl right now and should be hatching any day. I thought they should have hatched by today so I took one out and cracked it open to see if anything was happening and YES it was alive. Unfortunately it had to be a tester. So it looks like it may be possible. I'm curious to see if she takes care of them [​IMG] I say go for it! Good luck.

Chef

4. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Cool! I probably wasn't going to let her raise them, but I may. She's a little broody Modern Game hen, she'll actually be able to manage the size of the quail eggs. [​IMG]

5. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    Would be interesting to see if she'll hatch them. Let us know how it turns out. I wonder if she can do it without breaking them?

6. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Well, she's a tiny hen, and they're surprisingly big eggs. So they fit perfectly under her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by