hatching quail eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChiknNuggets, Feb 16, 2015.

1. ChiknNuggets

ChiknNuggets Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    I have been lurking this forum for a while, so I have decided to register and join up. I am on day 23 going into day 24 of the hatching process. I have noticed a few eggs shaking around since yesterday morning. There are no external pips on the egg shell yet. I did a candle this morning and it looks like a few of them have internally pipped. My main question is when should I be concerned? Should there be an external pip already? Today I have not seen the eggs shaking as much as they were yesterday. I do not hear any peeps, but when I candled this AM and tapped the egg I did see movement.

2. dan buss

dan buss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    it depends on what your hatching game birds or chicken. if there suppose to hatch out on day 23 you my of had a lack of water if so you have to help them out as the lining of the egg sack will dry on to the middle of there backs so then they can not turn to crack the shell to get out. they will die if you leave them to long. so open one and see that will tell you

3. ChiknNuggets

Feb 16, 2015
    They are valley quail eggs. Yeah, I'm afraid I messed up on the humidity. My hygrometer that came with the new incubator I am using seems to be very inaccurate. I will probably give it a few more hours until I do any sort of intervention. It will be day 24 in 4 hours.

4. dan buss

Apr 7, 2013
    ive had it happen if you leave it to long you will lose them. i raise valley quail also. ive got a 1502 sportsman and you realy got to keep and eye on the water

5. ChiknNuggets

Feb 16, 2015
    I decided to pip the egg the membrane is very white and im assuming it's dry. I can hear the chick peeping. I did moisten the membrane and put it back in the incubator. Im not sure if I should extract the chick out or leave it?

6. dan buss

Apr 7, 2013
    hello again all you have to do is open up the membrane and pull that egg shell away just look at it's butt and make sure it healed up and if it looks good them help them out of the shell that will save them good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by