hatching quail under bantam

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GD91, Feb 12, 2014.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Now, I know I've got another thread about trying to send Jumbo Coturnix broody, but this is about a different matter....

If / When my Pekin (Cochin) bantam goes broody, can I use her to hatch Jumbo quail indoors?

The reason I ask, is because both of my incubators are broken & I can't afford a new one, DH refuses to have anything home made because he's obsessed about fire risks, so that's out to.

Our flock is completely segregated from the world in a town garden so no diseases. We have quail and chickens together, no problem. We are also in the UK where poultry / gamebird diseases are monitored and outbreaks are announced.

So can I do this?

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Short answer is yes it works sometimes. Sometimes the hen steps on the chicks and gives them spraddle legs though, she may also peck their little heads off if you don't pull them after hatch. Otherwise you shouldn't have too many problems.

3. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Does she recognize them as quail or is that just something she may do anyway to any chicks?

I don't mind pulling them straight after hatch, its just easier to let hens brood chicks, but maybe not quail chicks. Also, don't hens sit on the nest for up to 2 days after the eggs hatch, but quail need food & water within 24 hours?

I'm not inexperienced with quail, but I am with broody hens.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. dc3085

Hard to say why kill the babies. Growing up on a farm I've seen too many animals cannibalize young. Their instincts are to blame. I'd guess they aren't sure of the food source so they don't want any competition. A hen killing chicks doesn't happen often but it is a concern.

And you are correct the hen may continue to set the nest instead of taking the little tikes out to eat. Chicken chicks can go three days before they eat/drink, quail only have 24 hours.

1 person likes this.
  5. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    What if she broods the chicks under close monitoring indoors? Food & water close by etc until we are sure she can cope? She can hatch them under a unit in our kitchen.

6. dc3085

Just keep an eye peeled and be ready to deal with the potential consequences. The main reason I would split them up is if she steps on them they will get splayed legs which is a huge PITA to fix and realistically has a low success rate. I'm used to having to euthanize things but I try to protect other from having to...

1 person likes this.
  7. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Ok, thankyou [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by