1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gabrielle1976, Apr 21, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Ok so I have some quail eggs on day 17 and I have 2 that I can see that have tiny pips in them , They were piped last night around 10pm when I checked the bator and are the same this morning,
    Are they like chicken eggs and take up to a day to do anything after pipping?
    My humidity wont go over about 57% and I have a straw in on of the resevors for adding water and its full and leading to a sponge which I am keeping damp, is this ok humidity or should I risk cracking the bator to add a second sponge .?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    12 hours with a couple pips , if this were chicken I woudnt be worried yet but Im not shure aobut quail ?
    I have 2 more pips now, one is partially obscured by a little wax , its and egg I had to fix , the chick will be able to get out thru wax wont it?
    I got my humidty up to 61% by putting one of the red plugs back in , is this ok to have one plug in and the hole of the other slighty obscured by a starw?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    You are doing fine
    It is okay to have one of the plugs in

4. teeny

teeny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    West Virginia
    I hatched out 21 chicks a month ago . Both of my plugs were pulled, the chicks started pipping around 1 a.m. and 17 weren't born till between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. that night( day 17) and 3 weren't born till between 8a.m. and 9 a.m. the next day.( day 18) Hang in there and BEST OF LUCK!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by