Hatching Quail.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Hunter99, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Hunter99

Hunter99 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I have done 2 hatches of Quail, One in my hand turned incubator and One in my automatic turner incubator. My first hatch in my hand turned incubator I had 9 eggs 2 hatched, 5 were fertilized when I candled them but did not hatch or peep out. My second hatch in my automatic egg turner incubator, I had 11 eggs, 2 hatched but unfortunately 1 didn't make it, when I candeled my eggs 6 were fertilized but 2 hatched and 1 started to peep out. I have 5 females and 2 males in my pen to ensure good fertility, but I cant seem to get a good hatch rate. I did not use shipped eggs either. I am looking for some help and tips on hatching quail. and some info on what temp and humidity to keep my incubator. Thanks![​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    The incubation is almost everything, aside from good eggs. Make sure you are using a good incubator, quality thermometers and hydrometers. Use forced air and and incubator with good venting.

Store your eggs PROPERLY before setting, always set eggs in a prewarmed bator, (24 hour prewarm) use 2 thermometers, and ALWAYS open your vents completely at lock down. Use damp sponges in the bator at lock down to keep the humidity up and never open the lid during pipping and zipping. Never help chicks out of the egg.

Temp at 99.5 to 99.7
    Humidity 45% to 55% during incubation
    Lock down 3 days before hatch. Up the humidity to 65% to 70%

3. Hunter99

Hunter99 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Thanks so much!

4. themadbackpacker

themadbackpacker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Quote: x2! We just hatched out some coturnix and had about 21 out of 50 hatch. Sometimes it's just in the cards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by