hatching question; important

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicknmania, May 30, 2010.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I posted recently about the problems we had with the co-mothering hens. I have one egg hatching and the chick has been trying to get out of the egg since this morning. I went to check on it jjust now and it appears the hen has chipped at the egg from the outside, but the baby doesn't seem to be doing much from the inside. The baby is still cheeping strongly and moving. I am reluctant to try and help it as I know that cam damage/ kill the chick if it goes wrong. But I want this baby to live, especially after it's been trying so long. What should I do? It has now been five hours, at least.

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Ok, did some quick research otherwise and pretty much answered my own question, which is don't do anything yet...except for one thing. The egg is not under the hen anymore, so probably the humidity is lower than it shoudl be and naybe that is why the chick is having problems. I guess we could try to pick the hen up to put the egg under her, but not sure if she would leave it there. She is just watching the egg and sitting on the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by