Hatching Question. Please help!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quailcks, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Quailcks

Quailcks Just Hatched

Dec 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

These two have been like this for 2 days, the temp and humidity are fine but they haven't gotten much farther than this for 48 hours. They're still alive but I don't know when I should start considering helping them...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    I think now would be reasonable to help them. If the membranes are dry, you can mist them with water, but with them stalled for 2 days, I would guess that they are tired. Since they are still alive, I suggest helping them out. Good luck!

3. Quailcks

Quailcks Just Hatched

Dec 21, 2016
    I helped them half way. The yolk was fully absorbed, their membranes still moist and flexible, and the veins had receded. The yellow chick died though a few hours later, it's legs were deformed (anyone know why?) but the brown chick seems pretty ok so far. Fingers crossed.

4. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Were the legs puffy with the toes curled up? I think that's what happens when they're in the egg a bit too long but they always seem to "walk it off" meaning after a few hours the puffiness recedes and they're able to use them. :eek:

Oh and good luck with the second one :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  5. Quailcks

Quailcks Just Hatched

Dec 21, 2016
    His legs and toes seemed flat and yes his toes were curled. I can imagine it's because I didn't help soon enough

6. remric

remric Just Hatched

Dec 22, 2016
    In my experience helping chicks get out of the shell always causes problems. They tend to be the weaker birds of the flock and eventually die.

It might sound cruel but I suggest leaving them alone. In nature only the fittest survive and if you manage to help them and survive maturity. Foot deformities will eventually become infected (specially if your keeping your birds inside a wire cage) and kill the birds.

7. Quailcks

Quailcks Just Hatched

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah that's why I waited so long but I couldn't bear to watch them just fade away. I raise my quail on the ground so maybe that'll help some. If it can make it to 6-7 weeks I will process it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by