Hatching question sorry if it is a repeat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Karen48, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Karen48

Karen48 New Egg

Jun 11, 2008
    Carlisle
    My eggs are to hatch next weekend...so I take the eggs out of rocker and lay them down or just turn off the rocker??[​IMG]

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:I take mine out of the turner and lay them on their sides. Some folks will put them into a cardboard egg carton with the bottom of the holes cut out and keep them upright.

I wouldn't leave them in the turner, though - they can get stuck in the cracks between and break a leg or worse.

meri

3. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Hi Vampire, Nice to see you, and hope we don't meet. [​IMG]

Anyhooo, I've done it both ways.

If you... Just unplug the turner, the chicks will hatch. However, they have the great possibility of bumping their heads on the heating element. They also have the tendency to get their little leg caught between the egg trays. (Its happened n my hatches)

If you... Take them out of the turner and lay them on the mesh, they have the chance of pipping and rolling and then not being able to finish pipping. (Its happened in my hatches)

A great compromise is to take the egg turner out of the incubator. Take the trays off and then set them back in the incubator. This stabilizes the egg and keeps them low enough not to hit the heating element.

(or just put them in an egg carton and let them hatch that way, this one is my favorite!)

4. Karen48

Karen48 New Egg

Jun 11, 2008
    Carlisle
    Thanks for the incubating answers...think I will use the carton method next Sat. should be the day [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by