Hatching Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cackleberries, Feb 17, 2009.

1. cackleberries

cackleberries Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    Arkansas
    I am getting ready to put a doz white leghorn eggs in the bator (my 1st time) IM SO EXCITED [​IMG] Im hoping i dont mess it up been reading on here how to do it. My question is I have a handful of white Pekin Duck eggs can they go with my chic eggs or do they need to be kept seperate & is the procedure and the time the same. If differant please tell me how.
    Thanks ya all

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Ducks usually have a different length of incubation (longer) and need a higher humidity than chickens. I've never tried to hatch both at the same time, however, I believe there are some people that have ... now, where did they go?
    [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's not wise to try to incubate duck eggs in with the chicken eggs. Ducks require a higher humidity and longer incubation time and that can ruin your chicken hatching eggs.

4. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    it is not wise to do so but if you do ducks hatch in 28 days chicks in 21 so wait 7 days after you set the ducks so you can move thelm to hatch at the same time day 18 on chicks 25 on the ducks they need to = out

5. cackleberries

Dec 14, 2008
    Arkansas
    I will wait on the duck eggs. How long will duck eggs last? I collected 1 a day for 5 days will they last until my chics hatch or should i just scramble them and get new closer to time?

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Everybody can and will tell you something different but I have incubated ducks and chicks together many times before I got multiple incubators. What have you got to lose by trying, you're just gonna eat them anyway, huh? I just set my humidity to like 55-60% until the 18th day when you remove your chicken eggs, then bump humidity up to the right amount for the ducks the last days. I had no ill effects and they hatched just fine. Now this is supposing you have a seperate hatcher?! Just make sure you don't drown your chicks.

7. cackleberries

Dec 14, 2008
    Arkansas
    Quote:No I have just the one incubator and they would of been all together. Im thinking i need to just chill out and wait. Thank You for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by