1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pattyjean73, May 18, 2009.

1. pattyjean73

pattyjean73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    I'm using the styrofoam bators that have the wire bottoms and manually turning. I've been reading and now I'm concerned about eggs rolling during hatching and cracking other eggs. What can I do to prevent this? Can I fold up papertowels and place between the eggs on the 18th day? Any other suggestions?

2. Hi PJ! I'd worry about the paper towels absorbing water and causing problems with the eggs touching them. Maybe something non-absorbent?
    There are several other things you can do.
    How many eggs do you have in the there? If there is a lot or wide-open-space, I like to fill water bottles with 100 degree water and use them around the edges to keep the eggs from rolling too much (kind of like making a 'corral' with the water bottles).
    The water bottles help stabilize the temperature as well if you don't have a full incubator.
    You can line the hatcher with that holey shelf-liner stuff. It's softer than the wire (and quieter if you happen to keep your hatcher in the bedroom).

A lot of people have had good results using egg cartons for hatching (you'll have to search that). I tried it once and it didn't work for me.

Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    whe my new babies are in there playing soccer with their slow to arrive sibs we call it "helping" they seem to pay the most attention to the egg that is going to hatch next

4. pattyjean73

pattyjean73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Thanks for the suggestions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by