Hatching question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by g&h farm, Mar 20, 2011.

1. g&h farm

g&h farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Brooksville, Fl
    So Saturday My chicks are due to hacth. I take my turner out on Wed. May be a silly question buutt, I need to know when I take my eggs out of the turner do I just set them down on their side? Wont this move the air sack? So much to learn with these little things and I dont want to mess up.
    [​IMG]

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Sides are fine thats how a hen does it.

3. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    On the side is fine.

The air cell is attached to the shell and will not move around unless the eggs have been damaged.

4. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

You can - that is the way I usually do it when I use a turner. Or you can use some egg cartons with holes punched into the bottom of the cups and cut down some. There is a thread somewhere I think on how to use the egg cartons.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

You can either put them on their sides, OR you can hatch in cartons. [​IMG] Thats what I do. They go into the egg carton air sac up. I cut the top off the carton, poke holes in the bottom, and trim the sides on the cartons down a bit. Seems like the chicks have an easier time getting out, since the eggs aren't constantly getting knocked around by previously hatched chicks.

6. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    On the side is fine.

The air cell is attached to the shell and will not move around unless the eggs have been damaged.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by