Hatching questions: Day 23.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by carcar80, Mar 24, 2013.

1. carcar80

carcar80 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Hi guys, I'm hoping to get some advice/reassurance here.. I have searched and am not finding exactly what I'm looking for. I am incubating 8 (domestic) Mallard eggs (from a stash of TWENTY-TWO I found that Mama had been hoarding, lol).. decided to try my hand at an incubator. I'm using the LG still-air bator.

SO. Three questions. The first one is the biggest, the last two I came up with while trying to research the first one on here, ha:

1) I pretty much know the answer here, but asking anyway. One egg has not formed like the others. It is far smaller- is not filling but maybe half his space in there.. the rest of the egg is yellow, but there are still red veins. Problem is, there's also LOTS of movement, just as much as the others. So go ahead and tell me to chunk it.. I just need to hear it. It's just sad that I can see it moving. But I'll live. ;)

2) Um, I'm just now seeing (on an article here) that I was supposed to be keeping my bator at a higher temp due to it being still air!? I've researched tirelessly and this is the first time I've seen this. I've been at a steady 99.5 (at screen level) and obviously everything has formed okay enough, but have I messed up? I know the temp is higher at the top of the eggs but I've only measured at floor level.

3) I'm also just now reading to stop turning at day 18? I've read in lots of places to just stop 3 days before expected hatch. So should I stop now?

Thanks so much!! I'm getting pretty pessimistic about everything the closer I get to D-Day. Last year when I hatched I only had to get them through the final week (nest was trashed by something so I saved three eggs) and did so on a heating pad.. LOL. This has been a world of difference!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. grojoenergy

grojoenergy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Laredo, Tx
    It's 28 days for mallards and we have to stop rotating them on day 25, I'm as anxious as you are! :)

3. carcar80

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Oh yeah! I totally forgot, I was likely reading about chickens so they were going on 21 days. Whew! Thanks for the reality check.

4. grojoenergy

Mar 24, 2013
    Laredo, Tx
    Lol I have read online that mallard ducks can sometimes be born as soon as 26 days.

5. carcar80

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Thanks!

6. grojoenergy

Mar 24, 2013
    Laredo, Tx
    How's the progress?

7. carcar80

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Hey! Thanks for asking- I had one working on internal pip last night and one more looking to be headed that way too. All others still looking good too aside from the stunted one. SOO I'll turn this morning and tonight and then we will see what happens. Maybe I'll at least end up with a couple... I've got my water trays topped off.. And fingers crossed..

How about you?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  8. grojoenergy

Mar 24, 2013
    Laredo, Tx
    4 of mine have internal movement but no pip yet!

9. carcar80

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Great! I've still not thrown out my dud.. I was just telling my husband, it feels so weird taking one out that's still moving.. So for now I'll just leave it. I don't see what harm it'll do.

Judging by tonight's candling, I'm gonna say I'll end up with five little ones. Just my prediction. IF any make it after what they've been through, lol.

10. grojoenergy

Mar 24, 2013
    Laredo, Tx
    It's weird, when I got home last night before putting them on "lock down," one of the eggs looked like when you put oil on a napkin, the egg is still form and all it just looks weird, ironically, that is where the air cell is....know anything about that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by