Hatching questions... First timer.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mainstays, Jul 28, 2010.

1. mainstays

mainstays In the Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Just a few quick questions.. My hen is hatching out her first chick but it seems that the membrane is too tough for it to get out and it is looking dry in places.. is that supposed to happen or should I be concerned? Second question, will the hen help it to hatch out. I checked her a few minutes ago and the mama was picking at the shell. Here's a pic.. sorry for the poor quality, the hen was pecking at the camera [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. jennh

jennh Songster

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    It's really hard to tell from the pic. Can you update on the status? Did the chick make it out OK?

Jen

3. mainstays

mainstays In the Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Best pic I can get right now.. don't want to bother it too much. The beak is at the lower part of the egg... the black thing sticking out. The rest of the black are feathers and a leg. I can see a few veins in the transparent membrane but the white membrane is thick and starting to dry out.

[​IMG]

4. mrslb333

mrslb333 Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Keep the membrane moist by wrapping it in a warm moist cloth.
    Do you have an incubator you could transfer it to? [​IMG]

5. mainstays

mainstays In the Brooder

May 27, 2009
    No i don't have an incubator. When I wrap it in a moist cloth, should I remove her from the mama or just leave it there. Sorry, I just don't want to lose my first one. [​IMG]

6. jennh

jennh Songster

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Is it moving? I'm thinking I might help it out, but VERY carefully. I'm not an expert, but I have had chickens 4+ yrs. I have only had 3 hatches though. Maybe someone else can answer better. I'm trying to bump up the thread for you ; ]

Jen

7. mainstays

mainstays In the Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Yes it's moving and cherping but not very much.

8. mainstays

mainstays In the Brooder

May 27, 2009
    It's foot just pushes out.... so cute!

9. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I just went through the same thing yesterday...at least I think it was yesterday. Anywho Momma had pecked it's shell to where it was half way out...looked like the yolk hadn't absorbed but not completely sure. Anywho yes,wrap in a wet paper towel or washcloth. I didn't have a incubator so I put it under a shop light in a little box with a thermometer and got the temp t0 95-100. Kept it moist but the crazy thing detached from whatever was left that it was hanging on to. So we left it and the nest morning I had a little fuzz ball. If you have a small spray bottle maybe you could keep misting it? But you will have to continuously as the heat will dry it.
    Good luck!!!

10. mainstays

mainstays In the Brooder

May 27, 2009
    I'll try that. I tucked her under mamas wing cause she left it laying out in the open, probably why the membrane was so dried out. We have 7 other eggs that she is still sitting on but the past few days she seems to be getting sick of sitting or she only sits on a few... hopefully they r still viable. Just worrying about this little one for now tho. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: